Sunday, March 13, 2011

Welcome Home, PJ

It is amazing how much a pet can bring joy to your life.

My husband and I now have a dog.  I have been wanting to get one since we got married and moved into our apartment, but I knew it would take some time for us to get settled before we would really be ready to care for one.  We talked a little over a month ago and decided the time was now right.  Growing up, my family always had corgis.  My mom did thorough research about what kind of breed would be good for a special needs child.  Corgis won, and I have been hooked ever since.  My husband acquiesced to my love of corgis, and through some searching and my parents contacting a breeder where we got a previous dog at, we found PJ.  He had been a show dog who didn't have the pizazz to win many shows, so they decided to sell him to an elderly couple.  In the Fall, they determined  that they weren't able to care for him anymore.  The breeders got him back in November and were waiting for the right family to give him a new home. 

Friday night my husband and I went to Petsmart to get all the things we didn't have to prepare our apartment for PJ.  It didn't feel real while we were picking out toys and food.  When we got the id tag made with PJ's name, our name, and phone numbers, it sunk in that we would be welcoming PJ into our hearts and homes for real.  Once we got home, I cleaned and set up his food and water bowls.  I figured out how to use the car harness and was all ready for the next morning when I would go pick him up from the breeder.

PJ has been settling in well.  He is a quiet and laid back dog.  He likes to sleep at my feet and join my husband and I on the couch when we watch TV.  Last night he was in my lap and fell asleep.  I thought that this is exactly how I would like to most evenings...curled up on the couch with my husband and dog.

I look forward to all the joy PJ will bring to my heart and home and the many adventures we will share.  Also, I hope PJ loves us as much as we love him!

3 comments: