Thursday, March 10, 2011

Invitation to a Holy Lent

Ash Wednesday went well at the hospital.  The service was pretty well attended.  I recognized a CNA, a Doctor, a Volunteer, and a Case Manager, in addition to other hospital staff and some family members.  I was glad to have such a good cross section of those who are in the hospital throughout the day.  I also got to distribute ashes to various patients and staff throughout the afternoon.

I have two favorite imposition-of-ashes moments.  The first was a lady whose water broke in the morning and came to the hospital.  She commented to the nurse after arriving that she wasn't able to get ashes now.  The unit Chaplain heard about it and let me know so I could make sure both her and her husband got ashes.  I can imagine the child growing up and hearing about how he prevented his mom from going to church on Ash Wednesday, but she was able to get ashes in the hospital before he was born.  The second was a lady whose nurse let me know she might want them after the nurse herself got ashes.  I went in and saw the patient, who said she would love to have them.  She told me that husband came in to see her earlier with his own ashes, and that she had tried to rub some of them off his head to put on hers.  I was glad to be able to give her her own set of ashes, even though it was a touching image to imagine her sharing ashes with her husband of many years.

It was a blessed and holy day for me yesterday.  I was touched by those who sought me out to receive their reminders of dust.  It will be an Ash Wednesday to remember.

After my husband finished with his evening service, we met downtown to break our fast together at a restaurant.  As we sat there waiting for our food to arrive, I smiled thinking that this is exactly how I want to end each Ash Wednesday -- sharing a meal with my husband and reflecting on how God touched us throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment